Subject Co-ordinator: Ms Edel Sludds
|Music Teacher's Name||Contact|
Music is offered as an exam subject for Junior and Leaving Certificate and for the International Baccalaureate.
All courses focus on developing compositional, listening and practical skills.
Music classes are mixed ability and most students take higher level at both junior and senior levels.
The course in Transition Year is intended for those continuing with music for Leaving Certificate though, in some instances, sufficient demand for a beginners’ course may be met.
A chamber choir is often offered on the same basis.
Choir and Orchestra are offered as extra-curricular activities.
St Andrew's College students have the opportunity to perform at a large variety of musical events throughout the year including:
- Annual Carol Service
- Prizegiving Ceremony
- Regular Class Concerts
- End of Year Ceremonies
- Visits to local schools
- Trips abroad
- Annual Music and Dance Festival with an independent adjudicator for various vocal, instrumental and dance competitions culminating in a prizewinners' concert
- Sixth Year Valedictory Ceremony
- Transition Year Evenings
There are three choirs and an instrumental ensemble:
- Junior Choir - Students from 1st - 3rd Year
- Transition Year Chamber Choir
- Senior Choir - Students from 4th - 6th Year
- Instrumental Ensemble - Students from 1st -6th year
- Orchestra - All orchestral players are welcome
Information relating to choirs and the orchestra, and other news from the Music Department, is posted regularly on the Music noticeboard outside the Senior Hall.
Music classes regularly participate in educational outings to the NCH, lectures and choir/opera workshops.
Music at other school events:
- Uganda Concert (organised by the 4th years)
- Music at the annual Drama Festival
- Music at the launch of the literary magazine Wine Dark Sea
- Participation in local school radio broadcast
Instrumental tuition is available after school in the following:
Contact details for the teachers are available at reception, on the music noticeboard and by clicking on the document below. Teachers are to be contacted directly to organise lesson times. It is advisable to contact these teachers before the start of the school year.